Soundproofing a dishwasher - how much ventilation/cooling does the motor need?
Doc
2013-05-30 16:38:34 UTC
Just for grins I've been sound-dampening a late 80's Hotpoint
dishwasher model HDA467 - 02WH using acoustic ceiling panels and
carpet applied to both the space the machine occupies and the exterior
of the machine, also sandwiched inside the machine door.

So far the results are good, but what I find makes a big additional
difference is blocking the recessed space at the bottom in front of
the access panel - just loosely laying a piece of acoustic panel
across it makes a big difference. Blocking off the areas on the side
of this bottom area makes even more of a difference.

However, before I make a piece to block off this bottom area, I wonder
what the air circulation requirements of the motor likely are. Would
blocking off this area cause it to overheat?

Thanks.
t***@optonline.net
2013-05-30 16:41:09 UTC
Post by Doc
Just for grins I've been sound-dampening a late 80's Hotpoint
dishwasher model HDA467 - 02WH using acoustic ceiling panels and
carpet applied to both the space the machine occupies and the exterior
of the machine, also sandwiched inside the machine door.
So far the results are good, but what I find makes a big additional
difference is blocking the recessed space at the bottom in front of
the access panel - just loosely laying a piece of acoustic panel
across it makes a big difference. Blocking off the areas on the side
of this bottom area makes even more of a difference.
However, before I make a piece to block off this bottom area, I wonder
what the air circulation requirements of the motor likely are. Would
blocking off this area cause it to overheat?
Thanks.
Just buy a new dishwasher. They are quiet and also clean
the dishes much better. If you insist of spending hours
re-inventing the wheel, then I'd say go ahead, block it off,
the motor isn't going to overheat,
DD_BobK
Just buy a new dishwasher<<<< +1
Oren
2013-05-30 18:30:55 UTC
If this is the case, go get a date. You need some couchie.
Ed Pawlowski
2013-05-30 20:53:28 UTC
Post by Doc
Just for grins I've been sound-dampening a late 80's Hotpoint
dishwasher model HDA467 - 02WH using acoustic ceiling panels and
carpet applied to both the space the machine occupies and the exterior
of the machine, also sandwiched inside the machine door.
So far the results are good, but what I find makes a big additional
difference is blocking the recessed space at the bottom in front of
the access panel - just loosely laying a piece of acoustic panel
across it makes a big difference. Blocking off the areas on the side
of this bottom area makes even more of a difference.
However, before I make a piece to block off this bottom area, I wonder
what the air circulation requirements of the motor likely are. Would
blocking off this area cause it to overheat?
Thanks.
Late 80s? Compared to the new models, it is noisy, inefficient and
does not clean as well. Block it off and if it burns up, get a new
one and enjoy the quiet and luxury of energy saving cleanliness.
George
2013-05-31 12:30:55 UTC
Post by Ed Pawlowski
Post by Doc
[...]
For sure. We had one of that vintage and it was loud and inefficient. We
bought all new mid range appliances when we remodeled the kitchen. The
dishwasher is barely noticeable when running and it works much better.
Art Todesco
2013-05-31 13:06:18 UTC
Post by Doc
Just for grins I've been sound-dampening a late 80's Hotpoint
dishwasher model HDA467 - 02WH using acoustic ceiling panels and
carpet applied to both the space the machine occupies and the exterior
of the machine, also sandwiched inside the machine door.
So far the results are good, but what I find makes a big additional
difference is blocking the recessed space at the bottom in front of
the access panel - just loosely laying a piece of acoustic panel
across it makes a big difference. Blocking off the areas on the side
of this bottom area makes even more of a difference.
However, before I make a piece to block off this bottom area, I wonder
what the air circulation requirements of the motor likely are. Would
blocking off this area cause it to overheat?
Thanks.
Funny thing, my 1st KitchenAid, 1971 model, lasted for some 17 years.
And I thought that was pretty good. Each subsequent KA lasted less and
less years. The last one was only 5 years old when it wasn't worth
buying the parts and doing the install myself. Four years ago I built a
new house with a Whirlpool. I know, KA is now WP and comes out of the
same factory. But, the WP, while it has some of its own weirdnesses, is
quieter and cleans better than any of the previous KA. Even if you
forget to add the soap, or it doesn't open its soap door due to a stupid
design interfering with the silverware, it still seems to clean the
dishes! So my question to OP is, has that 80s dishwasher ever been used
in the last 25 or so years?
Doc
2013-05-31 16:04:16 UTC
Post by Art Todesco
Funny thing, my 1st KitchenAid, 1971 model, lasted for some 17 years.
And I thought that was pretty good.  Each subsequent KA lasted less and
less years.  The last one was only 5 years old when it wasn't worth
buying the parts and doing the install myself.  Four years ago I built a
new house with a Whirlpool.  I know, KA is now WP and comes out of the
same factory.  But, the WP, while it has some of its own weirdnesses, is
quieter and cleans better than any of the previous KA.  Even if you
forget to add the soap, or it doesn't open its soap door due to a stupid
design interfering with the silverware, it still seems to clean the
dishes!  So my question to OP is, has that 80s dishwasher ever been used
in the last 25 or so years?
I don't have the Brady Bunch living here but it gets used. I'm putting
the effort into tinkering with it for some of the same reasons you've
mentioned. The design is simple, it has mechanical controls which as I
understand are more dependable and longer living than newer designs
based on chips. And no LED's/LCD's to wink out. I'm skeptical of the
need for various "modes" found on newer machines. This model washes
for longer or shorter. I assume much of the reason for the fancier
functionality is as a marketing gimmick more than any real need.

Newer machines are supposedly more efficient. I'm guessing it would
take a long time to make up for the cost of a new machine before I'd
realize any real savings - probably longer than the newer machine
would last. I already had the acoustic panels from another project, so
for the cost of some cheap carpet and adhesive I have a much quieter
machine that works great. Seat of the pants I'd say it's now 60% - 80%
more quiet than it was. I have to snicker - the machine actually has
"sound insulated" on the front. The so-called sound insulation was a
square of styrofoam sandwiched inside the door and a pathetically thin
piece of fiberglass draped over the exterior.

As for assertions as to how much better newer machines clean, I'm
skeptical. Once I cleaned out deposits of crud and minerals I found in
various places - the door seal, under the float cup, inside the shield
for the door vent, the outlet strainer, it cleans extremely well. As
an experiment I had sunny side up eggs and let the dishes sit for a
couple of days to let the egg get nice and enameled onto the plates.
Machine chewed through it with no problem using one of these Cascade
detergent packs and adding some TSP. There's probably better detergent
available.