Dave H., I finally replaced the 1.99 Quasar microwave button. Now what??
O.Phooey
2004-04-10 20:21:57 UTC
Well, Dave I finally got around to, 1. picking up the part, and
2. talking myself into putting it in. I had glued it a couple of
times, then used plumbers epoxy once. Funny thing though, the button
they gave me was white and the oven is black. No worries, as I figured
I'd never get around to fixing it anyway. But, if I did, I always
wanted a black MW with a white button. Well it took me about 2 hours
to take off the case, the bottom plate, and then the keypad module.
Learning all the way. Disconnected about 4 wires in the process. I put
a turkey baster bulb on the end of my screw driver and touched
everything that looked dangerous, but nothing discharged. Found the
tranformer that said high voltage, later. When I got to where the
button was, it was encased in a non-removable plastic enclosure. All
that and no access. I basically removed the button from the front and
popped the sucker in with the spring in place. Now, the button works
perfectly, the keypad works just fine, the light comes on, but the
microwave turntable doesn't turn and no little waves are heard. I
checked the wires and all are connected. I'll give it a day for one of
you eggspurts to talk me out of buying a new one....
eddy eagle
2004-04-14 14:36:12 UTC
Post by O.Phooey
[...]
I don't know the background on this situation, but from the above I
think you are in way over your head. If the turntable is not working
it might be the turntable motor or a switch or the wire came off while
working. The secondary the generates the high voltage may be turned
off because of the turntable not working. If the oven was working
before you took it apart to put in a button, then most likely you left
something off in the process. You could keep looking for your mistake
or find a friend who knows what to look for. A MW is a very simple
electronic device and every component can be checked. Without the
knowledge though it's pretty useless.

Stay away from it when it's running if you have the case removed. The
capacitor is the only part that can retain a charge after it's
unplugged. All the modern caps that I've seen have bleed resistors to
remove that charge before you could ever get a shock anyway. A
screwdriver across the terminals will discharge a cap that does not
have a bleed resistor.