Why do all current GE microwave/convection ovens have a carousel?
Mark F
2014-11-06 15:24:58 UTC
Why do all current GE over-the-range microwave/convection ovens
have a carousel?

When I got my over-the-range GE microwave/convection oven
in 2000 the higher end models from many brands used a hidden
rotor to move the microwave field instead of moving the food.

This allowed larger rectangular containers to be used for
cooking, rather then limiting things to a smaller size
container that would be able to rotate inside the oven.

Do you know of any current over-the-range microwave/convection
ovens that don't require a carousel to get even cooking?
(My old oven used a rotor underneath the oven cavity to
get the microwaves to move. There might be another
technology available now to get the field to rotate or
perhaps even to do a better time-average distribution
of the field energy than a rotor did.)

(See also my related question asking what happened to
temperature probes in combination microwave/convection
ovens.)
Tim
2014-11-17 09:10:24 UTC
Post by Mark F
Why do all current GE over-the-range microwave/convection ovens
have a carousel?
When I got my over-the-range GE microwave/convection oven
in 2000 the higher end models from many brands used a hidden
rotor to move the microwave field instead of moving the food.
This allowed larger rectangular containers to be used for
cooking, rather then limiting things to a smaller size
container that would be able to rotate inside the oven.
Do you know of any current over-the-range microwave/convection
ovens that don't require a carousel to get even cooking?
(My old oven used a rotor underneath the oven cavity to
get the microwaves to move. There might be another
technology available now to get the field to rotate or
perhaps even to do a better time-average distribution
of the field energy than a rotor did.)
To the best of my knowledge, microwaves have always had and continue to
have 'rotors' to help disburse the microwaves evenly about the oven. The
problem is that even with that hot and cold spots still occur, which is
why the directions on almost all microwaveable food include directions to
rotate the food at least once during preparation.
As far as accomodating large pans, any regular size microwave oven with
carousel I have owned has easily accomodated a 9"x11" glass pan. The
problem here is that over-the-stove microwaves are very rarely full size.
Mark F
2014-11-18 15:04:19 UTC
Post by Tim
Post by Mark F
[...]
But in all cases not rotating food allows for a bigger pan.

I checked the top of the line GE, Advantium oven and it allows
for turnoff of the turntable, so it seems that I can do what I want
with manual flipping, so I can use large pans if there is a
TURNTABLE/OFF feature at a price unit that doesn't add "features"
that I consider negatives, like quartz heating.
Post by Tim
The
problem here is that over-the-stove microwaves are very rarely full size.
I don't have room for a separate, larger unit. (I have a $90
countertop unit with always rotating carousel which I use
for small items when the main unit is busy, but I don't have room for
a large counter top unit.)
Tim
2014-12-17 12:54:34 UTC
Post by Tim
The
problem here is that over-the-stove microwaves are very rarely full size.
I don't have room for a separate, larger unit. (I have a $90
countertop unit with always rotating carousel which I use
for small items when the main unit is busy, but I don't have room for
a large counter top unit.)
Get four glass/microwave proof objects that are slightly higher than the
carousel. Place one at each corner of the pan to hold it clear of the
carousel. Let the sucker spin as much as it wants.